- What are the primary benefits of feeding K9 Natural?
- What are the kinds of things I'd notice if I started feeding my dog K9 Natural?
- What is the benefit of the blood? Why do you put that in K9 Natural?
- Is it safe to feed my dog K9 Natural with other food?
- How do I transition my dog onto K9 Natural?
- Do you add any vitamin or mineral supplements to K9 Natural?
- What is the shelf life of K9 Natural?
- How can I be sure K9 Natural doesn't contain salmonella?
- Will K9 Natural clean my dog’s teeth?
- My dog is fussy and I have tried lots of food, why will it eat K9 Natural?
Freeze Dried Questions
- Do you have to add water when feeding K9 Natural?
- How long do you wait after adding water? Why add warm water?
- Why is freeze dried more expensive than frozen?
Dogs fed on a balanced diet of fresh whole foods benefit from improved access to the protein sources and fat sources found in raw, uncooked meats. This consequently provides a dog with an excellent energy source while also helping build a strong, lean physique. In addition, the careful blending of naturally occurring vitamins and minerals found in fruit, vegetables, eggs and green lipped mussel results in a complete and balanced diet, leading to optimal health and wellbeing for your dog.
One of the first things you'll notice is a change in your dog's stools; they'll be smaller, firmer, drier and won't smell as much. For you, that means less waste that is much easier to collect! There are 2 main reasons behind this;
- K9 Natural does not contain carbohydrate fillers. These are commonly found in commercial dog food products and result in increased moisture content in your dog's stool.
- Protein and fat in unprocessed, uncooked diets (like K9 Natural) have a higher level of digestibility compared to carbohydrates. So when food is digested more easily, less comes out the other end.
Some other observations you may have after starting to feed your dog K9 Natural include;
- Quality of breath will improve due to improved levels of hydration.
- Consumption of water decreases due to the levels of moisture in the diet.
- Physical changes including; a shinier, softer coat and a leaner body with clearly-evident muscle definition.
Blood contains a number of macro and micro nutrients in varying levels which are beneficial for your dog. In addition, the high water content of blood also aids hydration. Recently, cutting edge research has been conducted that is starting to reveal a range of health benefits blood offers from an immunity based standpoint.
Absolutely! K9 Natural has been formulated as a 'complete and balanced' diet which for you as an owner means, K9 Natural provides your dog with all it needs to thrive. If you decide to feed your dog K9 Natural in conjunction with other food, our main recommendation is that you make sure this is also complete and balanced.
If you are going to start feeding K9 Natural in conjunction with other food, we also recommend you slowly introduce it to your dogs diet over the course of a week. This should limit any digestive issues as a consequence of suddenly mixing different types of food.
We have two suggested methods to transition your dog onto K9 Natural from another diet.
- Option One: Feed the last meal of your dog's old diet in the evening and then start feeding K9 Natural the following morning. This is a simple method and works well for the majority of dogs.
- Option Two: Gradually introduce K9 Natural to your dog's diet over a ten day period while decreasing the quantity of old food accordingly. By the final day aim to transition your dog fully onto K9 Natural.
If your dog has a sensitive stomach, option one may be too sudden and cause an upset stomach. Therefore for dogs with a sensitive stomach, we recommend option two.
K9 Natural has been formulated to meet the AAFCO canine nutritional profile. This means it is classed as 'complete and balanced' and is able to be fed to dogs 'at all life stages'. This simply means that K9 Natural provides your dog with everything it nutritionally needs to thrive; therefore supplementation is not required for healthy dogs.
- Frozen Products: 18 months
- Freeze Dried Products: 24 months
Please read this section on quality and safety assurance from our website
No, unfortunately K9 Natural is not designed for cleaning teeth. There are a number of options available to help keep your dog's dental health in order. At K9 Natural we believe that a raw meaty bone is a great option, however there are other options which may be more appropriate for you and your dog. The article Raw Meaty Bones will help educate you more on this important aspect of your dog's health.
K9 Natural is a highly palatable food quite simply because it is a natural, raw product. The smell and taste of meat naturally drives dogs to want to eat it far more than a food containing a high level of carbohydrate fillers.
Ask yourself this simple question; if you put down three bowls in front of your dog, one filled with corn, one filled with rice and one with a warm steak, which one do you think would be devoured first?
Freeze Dried Questions
K9 Natural has two product types, frozen and freeze dried, with the main difference between these is the moisture content. The frozen product already contains water and therefore it doesn't need to be added. The freeze dried product has had water removed allowing the product to be stored in ambient conditions and we recommend you add water when feeding.
We produce K9 Natural freeze dried to provide a product with the benefits of a raw diet in a more convenient form. Adding water to the freeze dried product returns it to its natural state and this is why we highly recommend you add water when feeding. Feeding the freeze dried product dry is not a health concern, but your dog will need to drink more water to keep hydrated.
After adding warm water back to the freeze dried, you can feed it immediately if you wish. Depending on the flavour, the amount of water that will absorb may vary with the chicken and venison having a higher level of fluid uptake than the beef and lamb. This is because fat is hydrophobic (doesn't absorb water) and the beef and lamb have higher levels of fat.
We recommend warm water as it helps the product absorb the moisture and also allows your dog's strong sense of smell drive him/her to their dinner!
The quality and ingredient composition of K9 Natural's freeze dried and frozen products are exactly the same. The freeze dried products are more expensive per kg/lb simply because they have undergone the freeze drying process to remove moisture. When purchasing the freeze dried product you are getting the benefits of a raw meat diet for your dog, with the convenience of not having to store the meat in a freezer.