1. Do you employ a full-time qualified nutritionist?
Yes. Kathryn Reeves is our in-house nutritionist.
Kathryn holds a Bachelor of Science Degree with a Major in Human Nutrition and Physiology from Massey University. Kathryn also works alongside leading animal research institute; Massey University in New Zealand to create pet food diets which are healthy, natural and nutritionally balanced.
2. Who formulates your foods and what are his/her credentials?
Kathryn Reeves, our in-house animal nutritionist who holds a Bachelor of Science Degree with a Major in Human Nutrition and Physiology from Massey University.
3. Are your diets tested using AAFCO feeding trials or by formulation to meet AAFCO nutrient profiles? If the latter, do they meet AAFCO nutrient profiles by formulation or by analysis of the finished product?
K9 Natural and Feline Natural’s core diets are formulated to meet the nutritional levels established by AAFCO requirements for all life stages.
We conduct regular testing at internationally recognised testing facilities to ensure that all of our core diets nutritional profiles meet the standards set by AAFCO.
4. Where are your foods produced and manufactured?
All K9 Natural products are manufactured in the Hawkes Bay region of New Zealand.
5. What specific quality control measures do you use to assure the consistency and quality of your ingredients and the end product?
All our wholefood ingredients are sourced from the human supply chain in New Zealand and as such, are required to meet the strict food safety requirements of food fit for human consumption. All of our animal products are sourced from facilities that are regularly audited by the New Zealand Government department, the Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI), and have been deemed fit for export. These ingredients are processed in certified food production facilities and are approved for human consumption, then down-graded to pet food before they enter our frozen processing plant. Our facilities strictly adhere to the same processing and manufacturing standards as human food production to the highest level of food safety. Largely affected by supply availability, and to align with our GMO-free sourcing stance, K9 Natural’s vitamin and mineral supplements are a combination of both human grade and feed grade.
K9 Natural has been in the business of manufacturing dog food for more than 10 years, and during that time we have forged close, open relationships with our
supplier network. We regularly visit our supplier’s factories and facilities and audit our sourcing programs.
Based on risk profile, raw material are tested before use for Salmonella and, E.Coli. Every batch of finished blend product is then tested for Salmonella, E.Coli. 0157 H:7 and Listeria Monocytogenes before being released for sale.
6. Will you provide a complete nutrient analysis for the dog food in question?
Yes. Refer www.k9natural.com
7. What is the caloric value per gram, can, or cup of your foods?
8. What kind of product research has been conducted? Are the results published in peer-reviewed journals?
Roberts MT, Bermingham EN, Cave NJ, Young W, McKenzie CM, Thomas DG. Macronutrient intake of dogs, self-selecting diets varying in composition offered ad libitum. J Anim Physiol Anim Nutr. 2018;102:568– 575. https://doi.org/10.1111/jpn.12794